Enhanced Oral Assessment System
The VELscope Vx, the latest model release of VELscope technology, uses natural tissue fluorescence to improve the way practitioners examine the oral mucosa and screen for tissue abnormalities by enhancing the visualization of pre-cancers, cancer and other disease processes.
The World's #1 Adjunctive Examination Device
Traditional oral mucosal examination tools rely on reflected light to visualize the oral cavity. VELscope Vx uses tissue fluorescence rather than reflectance. Natural tissue fluorescence is caused by "fluorophores" that, when excited by light of an appropriate wavelength (e.g. blue), will emit their own light at a longer wavelength (e.g. green). The resulting fluorescence may reveal information about cellular, structural, and/or metabolic activity changes that are often directly related to disease processes occurring inside the tissue. The VELscope Vx system is a powerful device for the enhanced visualization of mucosal abnormalities such as oral cancer and premalignant dysplasia. Unlike other adjunctive devices used by dentists, the VELscope Vx system does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. In fact, VELscope Vx examinations can be performed in the dentist's office during routine hygiene exams (and under normal lighting conditions) in about two minutes.
VELscope® Vx Advantages
- Provides visual information that is bright and easy to observe within the typical lighting conditions in a dental operatory
- Helps see things which may be hard to visualize otherwise i.e. offers an imaging modality which is sensitive to tissue changes
- Allows for enhanced photo documentation - bright tissue response allows easily acquired digital images
- Clinically proven for the enhanced visualization of mucosal abnormalities, and for use by specialists in helping establish lesion margins for surgical excision
- A very important tool in the fight against oral cancer
Indications for use
VELscope Vx is intended to be used by a dentist or health-care provider as an adjunct to traditional oral examination by incandescent light to enhance the visualization of oral mucosal abnormalities that may not be apparent or visible to the unassisted eye. VELscope Vx is further intended to be used by an oral surgeon to help identify diseased tissue around a clinically apparent lesion and thus aid in determining the appropriate margin for surgical excision.